St. Anne's, Ancroft, (Grade II* Listed building)
was the first of the four churches built by the monks of Holy Island Priory on their mainland estates. It is known to have been in existence in 1145 AD. It is likely that it was built around the Norman conquest in 1066 AD. In its long and varied history, Ancroft was subject to border warfare; raiding parties and in 1667 AD, the Plague. By the 18th century the population of Ancroft recovered and numbered over 1,000. The windows are glazed with large sheets of obscured plate glass, which have become damaged over time, some actually cracked and leaking.
The PCC proposed to replace these glass sheets with clear leaded lights made in the style of many traditional designs found throughout Northumberland churches. We believe this is a real opportunity to choose and design new clear glass windows, adding to the beauty of this old church for our parishioners, congregation and visitors alike.
* LATEST: Everything has gone well and the last window is due to be replaced at the end of June 2016.
Link - Church of England, Diocese of Newcastle: St Anne's Ancroft