The Norham Deanery

News

 The

Norham Deanery Newsletter

for July 2017 is

 

Available HERE (PDF)

 


Northumberland Credit Union

An ethical helping hand for locals who may need some support.

Details on the Deanery Synod Page

 

 

Events

 


 2nd Peter Middlemiss Memorial Lecture 

Weds. 18th October 2017

 

Cancelled due to the ill health of the speaker

 

Rev'd Dr Pete Phillips

 


 

St Cuthbert’s Church Norham

 

Forget Me Not - The Alzheimer’s Whodunnit

 

7pm - Saturday 4th November

Visit our  Events page for details

 


 

Details of our events can be found on the events page

 

 

Contact

Email the Area Dean:

Rob Kelsey

Email the Lay Chair:

John Ayerst

Email the Secretary:

Ian Corsie

Email the Finance Officer:

Terry Harris

Email the Norham Deanery Website

St Cuthbert's Norham

Lying close to the banks of the silvery Tweed, this lovely, large and ancient church, was built about 1187 AD, shortly after Norham Castle was erected as a defence against the Scots. Some stones from an earlier Anglo-Saxon church (850 AD), remain near the font. The monks from Holy Island brought the body of Saint Cuthbert here when they fled from the Vikings, and they buried King Ceolwulf here before continuing their journey to find a resting place for Cuthbert in Durham. Ceolwulf was a king of Northumbria who chose to become a monk on Lindisfarne. The church has a splendid priest's desk, pulpit, choir stalls and coat of arms from Durham Cathedral, dating from 1660 AD.

St Cuthbert's Norham: History and Significance

See more details of St Cuthbert's Norham and Services by clicking - HERE


St Cuthbert's CarhamSt. Cuthbert's, Carham

enjoys an idyllic position on the banks of the river Tweed, only 200 yards (183 metres), from Scotland. The Daffodils in the churchyard in April are a site to be remembered. Earliest records indicate that in 675 AD, a small abbey was founded at Carham by Saint Cuthbert, adjacent to the site of the present church, but this was destroyed by Ian Wallace in 1296 during one of his border raids. In the 16th century a small church was built on the site, taking the name of St. Cuthbert. This was rebuilt in approximately its present form in the late 18th century. The west tower, chancel and vestry were added in the 1860's, at which point the church had a capacity of about 110 in box pews. Huge cracks appeared in the tower in 2002 necessitating a complete rebuild.

For the service times at St Cuthbert's, Carham:  CLICK HERE


St. Paul's, Branxton

Some 8 miles from Norham is a delightful little church with an ancient chancel arch. It was here that the bodies of some of the thousands of English and Scots slain at Flodden Field were laid. Nearby on the A697 is the area called Pallinsburn, which is probably one of the river sites at which Paulinus baptised pagan converts about 630 AD.

For the Service times at St Paul's, Branxton:  CLICK HERE


St. Helen's, Cornhill-upon-Tweed

St. Helen's will be open daily for Residents and Visitors to enjoy from June 2014, why not come to one of our services, details via the link below.

For the Service times at St Helen's, Cornhill:  CLICK HERE


Berwick Parish Church

was built in 1650 within the northernmost part of the towns Elizabethan walls. It was the only parish church built during Cromwell's Commonwealth. The first record of a church here is in 1152 AD. Edward 1st claimed Berwick for England in 1296. The town then changed hands some 14 times between England and Scotland until 1482, and this is the only church in England north of the mighty River Tweed. The Book of Common Prayer always mentioned Berwick seperately in the Royal Preface:

"This book shall be appointed to be used by all that officiate in all Cathederal and Colligiate Churches and Chapels and in all the Chapels and Halls in both the Universities and the Colleges of Eton and Winchester and in all the Parish Churches and Chapels within the Kingdom of England, Dominion of Wales and Town of Berwick-upon-Tweed".

Holy Trinity is the Genesis Church of the Coldstream Guards, their forebears having built it. The colours of the 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards, an early reredos by Lutyens, a John Knox pulpit, 16th century Flemish windows, and many other items will reward any visitor.

Visit: http://berwickparishchurch.btck.co.uk/Events


St. Mary's, Holy Island

is the parish church for the small community living permanently on the island - but also a "Pilgrim" church, visited by many thousands every year, who come to this "Thin" place (where the "veil between Heaven and Earth" somehow seems thinner than elsewhere), to explore its spirituality.


St. Peter's, Scremerston

 Today, it still has very much a village feel, despitebeing so close to Berwick. The church hopes to play a real part in village  life and this will be helped by repairs and renovations to the building. People are welcome to join us for worship on Sundays, whether you are from inside or outside the village. For more information, please visit our website via the link: St Peter's Website


St. John's, Spittal

In Spittal a faithful group of people meet for worship on Sunday mornings for a service that is quite traditional in style. We recognise that although everyone is welcome to join us, this time and style of service might not be most suited to young families, and so we also have a Creative Church for families once a month. To check times for this, and to see more details about the church, please visit our website via the link: St John's Website


St. Bartholomew and St. Boisil's, Tweedmouth

In Tweedmouth we hope we are a freindly congregation that welcomes new people. Our main Sunday services are quite relaxed in style, where we meet to worship God and grow in discipleship. We have a family service on the first Sunday of every month, although children are welcome every week. For more information, please visit our website via the link: St Boisil's Website


St. Anne's, Ancroft, (Grade II* Listed building)

was the first of the four churches built by the monks of Holy Island Priory on their mainland estates. It is known to have been in existence in 1145 AD. It is likely that it was built around the Norman conquest in 1066 AD. In its long and varied history, Ancroft was subject to border warfare; raiding parties and in 1667 AD, the Plague. By the 18th century the population of Ancroft recovered and numbered over 1,000. The windows are glazed with large sheets of obscured plate glass, which have become damaged over time, some actually cracked and leaking.

The PCC proposed to replace these glass sheets with clear leaded lights made in the style of many traditional designs found throughout Northumberland churches. We believe this is a real opportunity to choose and design new clear glass windows, adding to the beauty of this old church for our parishioners, congregation and visitors alike.

* LATEST: Everything has gone well and the last window is due to be replaced at the end of June 2016.

Link - Church of England, Diocese of Newcastle:  St Anne's Ancroft


St. John the Baptist, Lowick

Originally a medieval chapel linked to the Benedictine Monastery on Holy Island, St John the Baptist Church, Lowick was rebuilt in 1794-1796.

It was extensively modified during Victorian times with a chancel added in 1886-87.

It presents today as a large, complete Victorian Church with an impressive hammer- beam wooden roof. Of particular note are the pre-Raphaelite style stained-glass windows, many of these are memorials to members of the Sitwell family from Barmoor Castle. A memorial to General Sitwell and his first wife Constance of 1910 made by the famous Whitechapel Glassworks of London is particularly noteworthy. This window in the pre-raphaelite style shows the vivid use of colour associated with this movement.


St. Michael and All Angels, Ford

The building dates from the 13th century and has always been closely associated with Ford Castle.

The west wall and the arcading of the south aisle are original, most of the remainder belongs to the well executed 19th century restoration and enlargement (north aisle).

There is an unusual grave slab with bagpipes on it by the west wall close to the entrance door. Among the stained glass windows are two of particular interest. In the churchyard is the grave of Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford (the Reredos is a memorial) who lived at Ford Castle during much of the 19th century and had the Lady Waterford Hall built (as the village school) and painted the murals of biblical stories to instruct the children.

 


St Mary the Virgin, Etal

Set in the grounds of Etal Manor, this church was built 1856-58 by Lady Augusta FitzClarence as a burial place for her husband Lord Frederick.

Lord Frederick had died in 1853 at Poona in India while he was Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army. He, Lady Augusta, their daughter, and Lord Frederick’s aide-de-camp are buried in the south aisle. As a private chapel it had a chaplain but no parish, Etal village being within the parish of Ford.

From the 1920s the Rector of Ford was also Chaplain of St Mary’s. Services are held at Etal from 1st Sunday of Advent until 5th Sunday of Lent, the rest of the year worship is at Ford.